Monday, December 05, 2011

A newish song for ya...

Hey guys! So, I finally finished a demo of this song, called "All In" this week. I also finally got around setting up a bandcamp account, so if you like it, you can listen, buy it, share it, etc. I'm kind of in love with the idea of making my living by writing songs and delivering them straight to fans, which bandcamp is great for. (I also do plan to still make a fully produced CD or EP every few years. So don't worry.)



Here's the story behind the song:


The idea for it had been bouncing around my head for ages -- the idea that love is a bargain. You'll give me this, and I'll give you that. I'd wanted to use really concrete examples, but the idea never fully formed.

That is, it never fully formed until one day this summer when I needed a ride to the airport at 7am. I was picking up a rental car for a brief Texas tour. A good friend agreed to drive me, and on the way there I told her, "I can't believe you agreed to do this. Truly, it's awesome. But this is a boyfriend job." Because, in truth, we all want someone to come home to and spend our lives with. But we also want someone to drive us to the airport, reach tall cabinets and call during traffic jams.

So, the song was born. Most of it was written in a hotel room in Arkansas, and some of it was finished in the car on the way to the first gig of the tour. I actually sang it at that first show without ever having sung it out loud in its complete form. It's got a special little place in my heart :) -Kate

I’ll give you all of my freckles for the scar on your chin,
I’ll make a strong cup of coffee for a swig of that gin,
And if you’ll drive me to the airport, I’ll water your plants,
I’ll give you a few good years if you give me a chance,

What do ya say now, ‘cause I am all in,
Do we call it a deal now, or do we just call it?
‘cause I spent my whole life, hiding my heart away
I’ll show you mine, if you’ll show me yours,
What do ya say?

Give you a spot for your toothbrush, and the wall side of the bed,
If you can make me feel pretty, on the days I forget
I’ll tell you most of my secrets and all of my jokes
If you hold my hand on the cab ride home,

(Chorus)

I just want someone to look for, and someone to miss,
And something familiar, when nothing else is
And someone to dance with, or sit this one out with
Who tells me he loves me, and I never doubt it,

What do ya say now, cause I am all in,
Do we call it a deal now, or do we just call it?
‘cause I spent my whole life, hiding my heart away
I’ll show you mine, if you’ll show me yours,
What do ya say?
I’ll show you mine, if you’ll show me yours,
What do ya say?

4 comments:

Texhawk said...

Well, I had most of the words right. This is now my #1 choice of songs to sponsor on the next album. :)

Kateklim said...

Ohh yay! Thanks Terry! I'll save it for ya :)

The Life of Susan said...

absolutely beautiful! love this

KK said...

Wow, Kate. I am going backwards in time (re: your Wall posts) that I have missed. And, I LOVE THIS SONG!!!!!!!!!! Even if I need to replace "he" w/ something else more relevant to me... I get it! GREAT tune!! :D

p.s. Aaaaaaaaaaaack to Texhawk getting dibs to sponsoring this song!

"Keep singing/writing/playing & we'll keep listening & enjoying!" :)